Digitalisation in the supply chain – Better solutions made easier
By Kevin Rogers, Managing Director, Elanders UK
The COVID pandemic has resulted in much being written about the importance of a robust supply chain and how it is managed and controlled. In that context, what has the past 18 months taught us as consumers and as managers in the supply chain? Amongst many:
- The need for greater supply chain resilience and the better use of data / technology.
- The need for agility in both the design and execution of a supply chain solution.
- Cost is important – but – is it all that is important?
- Greater clarity on product segregation that we now buy – critical to have vs like to have.
Progress and evolution of supply chain solutions will always keep happening – what worked yesterday will probably have to change and adapt to meet tomorrow’s needs. Keeping businesses fresh and on point, utilising the latest technology and data to support this constant evolution is now the norm. For businesses – this constant progression and development of solutions is a fundamental strategic requirement to be successful in the future.
As consumers, we have seen a rapid change in both what we buy, but more importantly how we buy the products and items we need. The prolific rise in the e-commerce and omni-channel retail use is also changing the business landscape. For retailers, who historically managed the direct customer interface and engagement in a physical shop, they now must pivot their customer experience to more of the on-line solution – where the actual physical interface and engagement is now via the supply chain solution and delivery.
E-commerce solutions though have their problems. As consumers, we become increasingly more defined on what items we now want and buy on-line, and it is easy to get frustrated and “dissatisfied” with the buying experience because of the lack of personalisation, engagement and communication that may happen during a sale. Where this is really visible though is in how returns are managed and processed from consumer back to the retailer.
This is where the Elanders Supply Chain return product integrated platform can support. Using technology and data to make better informed decisions that benefit both the consumer and the retailer.
- For the consumer – how they feel the returns process is conducted and how they feel the interaction back with the retailer values them.
- For the retailer – how it allows both a bespoke classification of the individual consumer and what return rules apply per individual and how each specific SKU is assessed for its e-commerce profitability and contribution.
Historically – many organisations had one business solution for all return’s management and interaction with the consumer. Today, there is now a single returns management platform and operational solution that is agile in its structure, adaptable in its scale and customisable in its interaction with individual consumer. The Elanders platform integrates the customer returns experience with the retailing profitability needs – data driven technology that makes a better solution for all and helps make life that little bit easier.
Elanders Supply Chain: Customer returns solutions – Reimagined.